Everyday Home Fire Hazards

For many people their home is the biggest investment they will make in their lifetime. It is important to not only invest in Fire Protection Services for your home but also for the family, friends, or beloved pets who occupy the residence. Everyday household items can quickly become hazardous disasters if they are neglected or used improperly. Reliable fire sprinklers are great to have but homeowners should be mindful of the following objects before fire sprinkler systems need to intervene.

Candles– candles provide a relaxing aromatic experience especially during holidays, special events, or after a stressful day. They are also responsible for starting an estimated 15,600 house fires, 150 deaths, and 1,270 injuries per year. When using a candle always you keep it at least 12 inches away from anything that can burn. Make sure you do not fall asleep with a candle burning and never leave the room without blowing the candle out.

Dryers– the leading cause of dryer fires is failure to properly maintain the equipment. Always clean the lint filter after every use and never use a dryer without one. Check the outdoor vent flap regularly for blockages caused by lint or rodents. Do not overload your dryer and follow the manufacturer’s instructions. Exercise caution when using dryer sheets, the plastics create a film that is difficult to see on your lint screen.

Space heaters – Curling up in front of a space heater with a good book and some hot chocolate is a favorite winter pastime for many. However, space heaters, especially those built into the wall create a false sense of security as you fall asleep in the warmth. 43% of all home heating fires are caused by space heaters. Keep anything flammable at least three feet away from your space heater and always turn it off before going to bed.

Cooking– the kitchen is the most heavily utilized room in American households and cooking is the number one cause of home fires. Wear fitted clothing and roll up your sleeves around flames or hot appliances. Never put metal or foil in the microwave, even the tiniest bits can start a fire. Do not throw water on a grease fire. Put a lid on the pan to smother the flames or use baking soda on uncontained areas. Lastly and most important, never leave cooking food unattended.

Flammable liquids– If you keep flammable liquids such as gasoline or kerosene stored in your garage make sure you keep them away from heat sources. Always check the label to ensure proper storage and temperatures.

Children– Childhood is a fascinating time to imagine, play, and explore surroundings. Curious children who play with fire are responsible for setting 20,000 fires each year. 43% of those fires are started by a child under the age of six. To avoid disaster, talk to your kids about fire safety, and make a fire evacuation plan.  Keep matches and lighters hidden or out of reach.